I am the sailor's wife,
perched high on her peak,
eyes fixed on the sea,
waiting in vain for your ship
to breach the horizon.
just after the tunnel collapse,
standing solemnly at the tipple,
waiting on bated breath
for the elevator to pull you up
from your suffocating grave
miles below.
gazing heavenward, stoic and unblinking,
as your rocket leaves the stratosphere,
praying that we have no problems, Houston.
My heart breaking because we are worlds apart,
and knowing that surviving the launch is only half the battle:
what goes up must come down, Houston.
Angels aren't supposed to fall from heaven either, Houston.
all too aware of the real reason they took down your dimensions.
I dam the oceans in my eyes
as you wave from the aeroplane
in your new uniform.
knowing your weight in gold
or another precious metal
could never
replace your flesh.
We aren't even married,
but I love you just the same.
I wait for you to call.
these desperate housewives
begin to join me for dinner.
When I wonder aloud
how long before
you'll get your phone privileges,
they smile and squeeze my shoulder.
I hate myself for my helplessness.
and head towards the window,
and when they try to stop me
I tell them I don't have time
for old wive's tales.
I refuse to lose you
the way they lost their own lovers:
because of a failure to act.
No comments:
Post a Comment